Thursday, November 02, 2006

Halloween Happenings

This year could very well move up the ranks and be the best Halloween I've had (aside from the sugar induced comas of childhood). We went to a corn maze last weekend with some friends, most of whom were international students. We raced through men vs. women, and it kind of goes without saying that the ladies won. I wonder what the internationals thought of all the crazy Americans who showed up to run through a corn field at night--and paid for it at that. Everyone had a great time though, and I am ready for next year's.

(Note to self: Do NOT watch Friday the 13th prior to an evening corn maze.)

On the actual night of Halloween we went to a "Haunted Hayride" which wasn't nearly as subtle as I think the term "haunted" implies. It was more like "Overtly Terrifying Actors Jumping Out From Behind Things Hayride." That's more accurate. There were several instances of chainsaw wielding maniacs, a couple of zombies, and some cannibals to boot. We made it out alive.

Since we got finished early we decided to watch a scary movie, but pickins' were slim at 10:00 pm on Halloween Night. We ended up with "When a Stranger Calls" or something like that. This is the one based on the urban legend of the prank calls and the person is really calling from inside the house. Oooo...spooky. It was good, with one flaw. The something-terrible-is-about-to happen-music played for all but the first 10 minutes of the movie. I was seriously scared of everything. I had to watch from between my fingers even while she got a sandwich. This kind of dulled down the actual terrible-things-are-happening parts. How could I be scared of the psycho killer if I'm terriffied of the rain and the light switch? Overall, thumbs up though.

Man, I wish someone would pay me for my movie reviews. Until then, you guys will have to suck it up and be my audience.

-Rach

1 comment:

Tooz said...

My brother always says you can tell how good (scary) a monster movie is going to be by when you see the monster. If it is in at the beginning, then the movie is going to be pretty rotten. I guess the same thing probably holds true for the "scary" music. I'm enjoying your blogs!